"Cannot connect to the software activation server" error message
This article contains troubleshooting information
No Internet Connection: Cannot connect to the software activation server because there is no Internet access available. Please check your cables and firewall settings before retrying.
Failure count: X
All Products | All versions | All Operating Systems
When users try to activate a trial or a license in any of the Source Elements products, they receive the following error message.
You either have no internet connection, have lost your internet connection momentarily, or your firewall settings are too high to connect to the activation server.
If the error message is related to your network, make sure you have internet access by trying to go to our website http://source-elements.com/. If you do not have internet access, try rebooting your router and computer and starting the application back up back up. If you are able to access our website via web browser, but still cannot activate your trial or license, contact the support team.
If the error message is related to a firewall setting:
- Consult your network administrator if you are on a business or enterprise network or have complex network security (check out our Network Guides article for IT and API information).
- Check if the there is an AVID ethernet controller plugged into the computer. These often use the same ports (6000 and 6001) as the Source Elements applications do. Usually, setting up two different ports in the router for the computer (for example, 7000 and 7001) and setting Source-Connect Pro to use those instead solves the issue. This applies to macOSX 10.10 and lower.
- Disable any Anti-Virus tools you may be running, or local firewall applications: at least for testing.
- It is crucial for Source-Connect and Source-Live to have the first Ethernet port as the priority port for the Internet connection, and not down the list after Econ/ Bluetooth, or others.
- Make sure you are NOT on VPN